Thursday 19 April 2012

7th Anniversary ~ AD MULTOS ANNOS! O=)



From WDTPRS:


19 April 2007 at 1:03 pm
I went to St. Peter’s Sq. the 2nd day of the conclave. I knew there’d be nothing major the first evening, and would have been surprised if anything had happened Tuesday morning. So in the late afternoon I put on my Cardinal Ratzinger Fan Club t-shirt and hopped on the 46 bus. As we approached the stop before the tunnel everyone’s cell phone went off and people started running toward the piazza. I missed the white smoke, but got my usual spot by the south fountain so I’d have an adequate view of the balcony. One guy with a big camera saw my shirt, smiled, shot some footage, then disappeared. When Cardinal Medina Estevez said “Iosephum” I started screaming, though everyone around me was quiet and listening intently. They stared at me like I was a madwoman, but I knew it could have only been MY Iosephum. The elegant Mexican lady next to me was asking “Who is it? Who is it?” “Ratzinger!” I shrieked. Which was confirmed a few seconds later by the good Cardinal. Several news crews spotted my shirt and interviewed me (including one very cranky person from Le Monde). “How did you know it would be Ratzinger?” was everyone’s question (one German reporter asked, “Ratzinger Fan Club? Where do you have your meetings?”). I didn’t know it would be Cardinal Ratzinger, I didn’t think the Signori Cardinali would have the chutzpah, frankly. But I had been praying and hoping. It remains one of the happiest moments of my life.

No comments: